Monday 7 March 2011

Extracts from Chapter 1 of Avadhuta Gita Dattatreya, son of Atri and Anasuya


11. Thus you are One. Why then do you not understand that you are the unchangeable One, equally perceived in all? O mighty One, how can you, who are ever-shining, unrestricted, think of day and night?
13. You are not born nor do you die. At no time do you have a body. The scripture declares in many different ways the well-known dictum: "All is Brahman."
14. You are He who is exterior and interior. You are the auspicious One existing everywhere at all times. Why are you running hither and thither deluded, like an unclean spirit?
15. Union and separation exist in regard neither to you nor to me. There is no you, no me, nor is there this universe. All is verily the Self alone.
16. You do not belong to that which is composed of the five objects of sense, such as sound; nor does this belong to you. You indeed are the Supreme Reality. Why then do you suffer?
17. For you there is no birth or death, for you there is no mind, for you there is no bondage or liberation, no good or evil. Why do you shed tears, my child? Neither you nor I have name and form.
27. I do not know the Supreme; how shall I speak of Him? I do not know the Supreme; how shall I worship Him? If I am the supreme One, who is the highest Truth, who is homogenous Being and like unto space, how then shall I speak of Him and worship Him?
44. I am free in the beginning, in the middle, and in the end. I am never bound. This is my sure knowledge-that I am naturally spotless and pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment